© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Monday, June 20, 2011

My common bloopers - 2

Well while growing up I thought guitar and sitaar were like Seeta and Geeta. And hence that is how I pronounced them too - गितार and सितार. The latter is obviously correct, but the former even more obviously incorrect. For 2 decades now I have known that the 't' sound is an aspirated sound and a hard sound. ट. But alas, even now when I am not careful, the earlier sister of sitaar resurfaces. I am reminded of Dushyant Kumar when he said

ek aadat see ban gaee hai tu
aur aadat kabhee nahee.n jaatii

एक आदत सी बन गई है तू
और आदत कभी नहीं जाती

So if someone were to call me and ask me how 'guitar' is pronounced - every day of the week and twice on Sunday I would give the correct pronunciation. But if the word was inconspicuously hidden away in a two page document and I was asked to read it 2 times out 10, that notorious sister of sitaar will resurface. I am working on it. But then, probably Dushyant Kumar got it right. 

No comments: