© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My common bloopers - 3

The recent hike in petroleum products brought back another of my old bloopers and I found it very hard to beat this one. The word 'kerosene' is pronounced in a way that it rhymes with 'scene'. But ever since I was a kid, I pronounced it in a way that it rhymed with 'sin'. Probably it had something to do with the long queues that I stood in, to be able to procure a couple of litres. Well I finally figured out the correct pronunciation and would never err when the word to be pronounced was 'kerosene'. But if the word to be read becomes 'kerosene oil', the original 'sin' invariably returns.

Oh how I struggle to say 'kerosene oil'. It has been 15 years since I last used kerosene for any purpose. But I pray hardest that the price of kerosene does not go up (or down for that matter). I just don't want that word to make it to the news.

No comments: