© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How to pronounce Julian Assange - Pronunciation advice

This man is probably the most well known person in the world. But yet his name continues to be mauled. I myself was confused for quite a while, thanks largely to our I-know-it-all anchor Mr Arnab Goswami who did an exclusive interview with Julian Assange. He spoke to him for almost an hour and repeatedly referred to him as Mr. us-ahn-jay. God! Mr us-ahn-jay must have thought Indians to be imbeciles. I mean, the man is sitting before you. Why don't you check his name? You can see this blunder here http://www.timesnow.tv/The-Julian-Assange-Interview-1/videoshow/4371560.cms. Note how the voiceover guy gets the pronunciation right, but the interviewer doesn't!!

The international media (thanks to wikipedia) has got a different (slightly French) take of his name. us-onzh is how they pronounce it. 

However, thankfully Julian Assange has started his own show. And he pronounces his name as joo-li-un us-ahnj (जूलियन असांज). Hear him say his own name here. 

2 comments:

qatzone_N said...

I believe it should be "Pronunciation ADVICE", not "advise", which is a verb and doesn't fit in.

sheenqaaf said...

Dear qatzone

Thanks for your input. I have made the correction. I wonder how the error occurred in the first place.

I am starved for feedback on this blog.

Thanks once again.