© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My common bloopers - 1

Well through this blog I have often pointed out the errors made by others. It seems to suggest that I am 'washed in milk'. Well I am not. So I have decided to start this thread too which includes words which I know I pronounce wrong and am very conscious about this word when it comes up, but I still get it wrong on air.

The name of the country Chile is pronounced as chee-lay and rhymes with जी ले or if you remember that Kimi Katkar-Hemant Birje song from Tarzan - jee lay lay jee lay lay.

Anyways, most Indians, including your current interlocutor (uwaan uwaan I want to use this word), pronounce it as Chilli. I wonder why. I am tempted to lay the blame at the door of my geography teachers, but then I have known the correct pronunciation for 5 years now and still end up making the same mistake. What is worse is that when you do get it right, some smug half-baked idiot comes along and says 

"तेरे को चिली बोलना भी नहीं आता. क्या चीले चीले कर रहा था"  

No comments: