© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My common bloopers 7

A decade ago, I was introduced to a person who went on to become a dear friend. Before we met each other, we spoke on the phone. And at the end of the first conversation, what she found most droll was the way I pronounced 'absolutely'. I used to pronounce it as 'ab-zuh-loot-ly' (exactly the way K Srikanth pronounces it). ऍब्ज़लूटली. 

I was intrigued. I thought that was the right way to pronounce it. She however corrected me and told me that the right pronunciation is with an 's' and not a 'z'. So the correct pronunciation is ab-suh-loot-ly or ऍब्सलूटली. 

All of us have such blind spots in our speech, something only others can correct. You can never do that yourself. I am thankful to all my friends who corrected me. And I hope at least some of my friends are thankful that I corrected them. 

No comments: