© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Saturday, July 2, 2011

My common bloopers - 4

The H- Bomb or the eich Bomb as I call it, threatens to blow up in my face many a time. But first the basics. The eighth letter of the alphabet is supposed to be pronounced as eitch and not etch as 99% of English speaking Indians pronounce it. All my English teachers were gloriously oblivious of this fact and hence it took me years to get this right. But even after I got it right, the H-bomb does blow up from time to time. 

Like everyone I also detest HIV. It has more to do with the fact that I often end up pronouncing this as etch ai v. Immediately after I bite my lip, but it is too late. 

1 comment:

Summerssong said...

Hey Ravi,

Most people don't know it, and whenever I have used the correct pronunciation 'eitch' I have had to repeat it as 'etch'...!!!!