© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Beijing identity crisis

I had mentioned this in passing in the earlier post, but I am flummoxed. The world media cannot be so stupid. I mean how many variations can you have for the pronunciation of an Olympic centre. Here goes
pay-ching
bay-jing
bay-zing
bay-zhing (oh the la-di-da 'i went to alliance francaise' varieties)
bee-zing
bee-jing
pay-jing
bee-zhing
bee-zing
No I am not exaggerating, I have heard all these on the various channels across the world। I am adding a video from someone called 'the two chinese characters'। This should help those who are unable to make out from the transliteration above. The native pronunciation is pay-ching or पेइचिंग (the 'p' is not aspirated, and this pronunciation should be preferred) and the anglicised pronunciation given below is bay-jing. All other variants, however exotic, are incorrect.

No comments: