© V. Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sunday, April 8, 2012

My common bloopers 8 - my gussa about garm and gum etc.

With my entire fetish for orthoepy, it sometimes leads to a lot of confusion too. Read the following words

garm
gulab
gussa
gum
khula
khali


Now how many have a nuqta (which leads to a different pronunciation). So is the following list ok

ग़र्म 
ग़ुलाब 
ग़ुस्सा
ग़ुम 
ख़ुला
ख़ाली

or is it wrong. 

Well I get it muddled many times. I am working very hard at it. But I still get it wrong sometimes. So here is the final corrected list. 

गर्म या गरम
गुलाब
ग़ुस्सा
गुम
खुला
ख़ाली

In the famous song from Rampur ka Laxman - Gum hai kisii ke pyaar me.n. Kishore starts by pronouncing it as ग़ुम and corrects it later to गुम. Lata gets it right throughout. 

Watch the song here. 


Wrong pronunciation at 00 10 and corrected versions at 01 55 and 03 26


No comments: